Thursday 10 November 2011

Norwegian Haven


We had a lovely break in Norway with my husbands fam... long walks along the fjord, sitting cosy by the log fires, wrapping up in hats and scarves and gloves, catching up with family and inhaling fresher air than even exists in England. It was the perfect week and Ava coped so well with all the chopping and changing. I had been nervous about the 2 hour flight and the 5 hour drive that followed, but our little princess slept pretty much the whole journey! What a precious little girl she is!!! (Of course, she would have been precious even if she'd screamed the whole way, but you get what I'm saying!)

Time in Norway is always a time of reflection for me. A time to slow down, to think about what God is teaching me, to analyse what direction our lives are going, to consider my friendships, use of time and energy. It is precious time that I cherish, and I always see Norway as a bit of a haven... stunning views and space - so much space - just to be, to pray, to think...

It was particularly precious time as I haven't had much thinking time as a mother of a two-month-old... what do I want for my little girl? How will our parenting reflect that? It's so easy to get caught up in her success; of course I want her to be well-behaved, polite, fun-loving, confident, clever, wise, beautiful... what mother doesn't? But actually, I'm more concerned with her inner-beauty... ultimately, my hearts desire is that she loves Jesus and commits her life to him while she still young.

So now for the practicalities of working that out... over the next few years, how will our love, our discipline, our guidance lead this little girl to the feet of our Saviour?? It can't... it is purely the grace of God, and so what is the best thing I can do for my Ava? PRAY, PRAY, PRAY. Yes, discipline in love, yes, encourage, yes, guide, but ultimately her soul lies in the hands of my heavenly Father and no amount of "perfect parenting" (which I am incapable off anyway) will bring her to the foot of the cross.

So my moment of reflection in Norway hasn't brought me home with lots of top parenting tips and good ideas, but rather a realisation, once again, that God is sovereign, he is my Provider and Redeemer and my little girl can be in no better hands than his!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!