Monday 2 January 2012

Resolution 1

Resolution 1: Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God’s glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad’s of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many and how great soever.

Right... I know... I had to read it about three times before I understood what Edwards is saying here too! It isn't every day you read something written 300 years ago! So here's my attempt at putting it into modern 2012 language...


I am resolved that I will do what I think will bring most glory to God and therefore most good and joy to me throughout my life... I am resolved to do my duty and whatever I think will benefit those around me... I am resolved to do this, whatever life throws at me.

This was essentially Edwards life mission; to glorify God in all he did and therefore to bring joy and good to himself and those around him. I'm reminded of the tag line John Piper uses throughout his book "Desiring God"

God is most glorified in me, when I am most satisfied in Him.

What a great way, therefore, to start the new year; to set myself the resolution of satisfying my soul in God... to attempt to bring glory to him by being happy in him, and bringing good to those around me. Sounds like a big ask, but by the grace of God, its what I can strive to do. So this first resolution, to keep my soul happy in God; to bring him glory whatever circumstances surround me, is something I'm going to attempt to do as we set out on this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!