Monday 23 January 2012

Resolution 4: Avoidance tactics

4. Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.

Sometimes I'm pretty good at avoiding... avoiding the washing up, avoiding awkward conversations, avoiding clearing out that drawer or making that phone call, or writing that email. I seem to be very good at avoiding the things I SHOULD be doing, and not very good at avoiding the things I shouldn't...


Jonathan Edwards wrote these "Resolutions" in his late teens... a time of life, perhaps, where its more difficult than ever to "flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart" (2 Tim 2:22) and yet here he is, resolved to avoid/flee anything which will take away from the glory of God...


A pretty tough shout for a 17 year old! 


So, as the Bible calls us to pursure righteousness, faith, love and peace and avoid ANYTHING which takes away from God's glory, here's what I'm fleeing today...
  • The temptation to be lazy and leave clearing up etc for my husband to do when he gets home, because that's not glorifying to God...
  • The temptation to spend time blogging/working on a project/hanging out with family/doing ANYTHING before spending some good quality time with my Saviour, because that's not glorifying to God...
  • The temptation to boast in myself - whether by making myself look better than I know I am, or by putting others down so that I look better, because that's not glorifying to God.
  • The temptation to feel frustrated and judge others, because that's not glorifying to God
  • The temptation to organise my life to such a degree, that I don't allow God to be the master of my time and energy, because that's not glorifying to God...
The list could go on... seriously... on and on and on...


So, rather than feel depressed and like I can't possibly flee EVERYTHING that I need to, because I am sinful and my natural instinct is to glorify myself, my family, my home... I'm going to pray for the Spirit's help today to avoid self-glorification, in whatever shape or form it might take, and glory, instead, in God...
  • Give glory to God for nature - for its beauty, tranquility, creativity
  • Give glory to God for family - for the creation of relationships, of a good catch-up, of laughing and living together
  • Give glory to God for His provision - a beautiful home, food on our plates, shelter, friendship, family, church...
  • ULTIMATELY give glory to God for Himself - for his generous nature, his sustaining power, his constant presence with me, his love and his blood, shed on the cross, which wiped out my sin once and for all...
Hallelujah!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!