Friday 7 March 2014

Feeling numb...

Sometimes I turn on the news and I'm scared by my own numbness...

Anyone else ever feel like that?

Images that should shock me, reduce me to tears, force me into action leave me cold and dry as I flick the channel.

We are so very far removed from some of the things going on in our world.

I have been praying tonight for forgiveness for my hard-heartedness... so many suffering, while I sit in plenty.

And I am comforted by the memory that God draws near to the weak, the brokenhearted, but also challenged that he calls me to be light... to stand as a witness to Jesus in a world that is lost and broken.

So join me in praying for Syria, for the Ukraine, for the many places around the world where people, made in God's image, are suffering.

There is so little I feel I can do, and yet do something, we must.


Baroness Cox

Please watch this video... it brings the story of what has been happening in Syria a little closer to home.

If this was happening in our city, would we be so cold?


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this stark reminder of why we are here. We so often forget! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Sadly I think many of us are in this position... Unless we're going through it ourselves it's difficult to imagine what it could be like to be in that situation. My heart goes out to anyone who suffers but part of me is afraid to 'feel' it, if you know what I mean.. Perhaps it's a way of protecting ourselves rather than all-out hardness. The very fact we empathise with others is a gift..(?)xx

      Delete
  3. I think perhaps it's because there is so much going on in the world that we become desensitised to it, but you're right that we should do whatever we can, even if that's just praying.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!