Thursday 3 November 2016

Adventuring // Gathered Thoughts of the Value of the Great Outdoors


Invigorating. Refreshing. Soul-satisfying. Getting out in the great outdoors. There is little in life which does as much for me when it comes to being rejuvenated - heart, mind and soul. Breathing deep gulps of crisp autumn air, space to think and talk and ponder, the crackle of twigs and the laughter of children...

And yet, so often, getting me out the front door is a battle of my will. I am a homebird... I cherish the delights of a cosy home, a scented candle and the chatter of playing children. At this time of year, I need to remind myself of the value of fresh air and freedom for myself and my little ones.

Last week, we spent the day with dear friends exploring the beautiful Scotney Castle in Tunbridge Wells... A castle, woodland, a moat and a pumpkin hunt. The perfect haunt for some invigoration, refreshment and soul-satisfaction.

So in case you, like me, have a hard time persuading yourself to arouse yourself from your home comforts as Autumn transitions to winter... I thought I'd share some of my favourite words of wisdom as to why it's always, always worth it...

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands" Psalm 19:1, The Bible

"The world is the true classroom. The most rewarding and important type of learning is through experience, seeing something with our own eyes" Jack Hanna


"The observant child should be put in the way of things worth observing" Charlotte Mason


"Ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky and they will tell you; or speak to the earth and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this?" Job 12:7-9, The Bible.


"Children will tend to value what you value, so start noticing nature yourself, taking a few minutes each day to become aware of the other-than-human world around you" Scott D Sampson


"Children need experiences, not entertainment, in play. The more kids can do, see, feel, and experience for themselves in play, the more connected they will feel to the world, and the less overwhelmed." Kim John Payne


"Believe one who knows: you will find something greater in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters" Saint Bernard de Clairvaux


"You are worried about seeing him spend his early years in doing nothing. What! Is it nothing to be happy? Nothing to skip, play and run around all day long? Never in his life will he be so busy again" Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Emile, 1762.

A little encouragement from wise ones who have gone before... So let's don our cosy layers and get ourselves, and our little ones, adventuring In the great outdoors this Autumn... Learning all there is to learn from life's biggest classroom...

Who's with me?!


3 comments:

  1. Brilliant! As you know, me an my kiddies love being out and about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay Louise Mumford3 November 2016 at 10:23

    I'm the opposite to you. I yearn to be outside and out all year round, my worst day is having to stay at home!
    Love the quotes x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures! Where do you find all the beautiful quotes?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!