Monday 29 January 2024

Tending to my Weapons // Thoughts for a Monday Morning

"Entering the day without a serious meeting with God, over his Word and in prayer, is like entering the battle without tending to your weapons. The human heart does not replenish itself with sleep. The body does, but not the heart... we replenish our hearts, not with sleep, but with the Word of God and with prayer"

- John Piper - 

Some favourite devotionals I have enjoyed over the years...

 I’ve literally only been doing it a couple of weeks so still early days but really enjoying it so far. It’s very short but good insights and seems to work methodically through the gospels rather than bouncing around over the ‘favourite verses’ which is good. 

Tried and tested... this is a devotional I have used for many years. The language is old (think "thees" and "thous") but the daily readings are timeless.   

Ken Gire's Moments with the Saviour is slightly different stylistically to a straight devotional but I’ve found it really helpful - gets you IN the story in narrative form. I’ve gone back to it a few times over the years! It's wonderful if you're in a season of finding things a bit dry.

Reading between the Lines by Glen Scrivener
I absolutely love these two devotionals. Scrivener walks you through the texts but somehow manages to take you deep in a short three page devotional. They are fab if you want to work your way through the Bible and get the big picture while also digging into some of the gems of the detail. 


* PS -The links are all affiliate - it means if you click on the link and decide to grab any of them for yourself, Amazon will give me a little financial thank you for the recommendation. It blesses our family! So thanks in advance if you do nab any of them!





2 comments:

  1. She's so alert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am chilling out with the word of the Lord, says Annika.🥰

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!