Wednesday 1 April 2015

Authors A to Z: The letter G

It's been a busy old month... full of the usual routines and a good few extras. I like to be busy. But it always knocks my reading. I think it's fair to say it's usually the first thing to go.

So this month, I only tackled one book. But it was a good'un!


No resting on the laurels of last month!!


Looking forward to hearinghow you've all been getting on this month, don't forget to link up below or leave a comment!

Here's what I've been reading...

 


Book 7: "G"
ARTHUR GOLDEN
"MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA"
I think this book's been on my radar for a good number of years... one of those "I should read that some day" ones that you never get round to... so I'm so glad to have read it this month. It didn't disappoint. The book is epic... it is superbly written, gripping and eye-opening about a culture and a lifestyle I knew very little about. I wouldn't go as far as to say I "enjoyed" the story... I think the content is too difficult for that... and I'm not sure it would be a repeat read for me, but I am glad I read it and found it thought-provoking, moving, happy and sad all at once. It follows the story of the Geisha "Sayuri" from childhood right through to old age and is, in essence, a love story. It is a beautifully told story, and the characters are painted wonderfully - with some real characters! A fascinating read...
Favourite quotes:
"Adversity is like a strong wind. I don't mean just that it holds us back from places we might otherwise go. It also tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that afterward we see ourselves as we really are, and not merely as we would like to be." P348

So that's it from me... I am on holiday in Wales at the moment, and have just tucked into my "H" book - "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand... looking forward to sharing more with you next month!

In the meantime! How is your #atozauthors challenge going?? The linky is continuous so we can keep a record of all we've read, so you can just go ahead and continue to link up below. Please do leave a comment here and also take a look at some of the other linkers to get some inspiration for your own A to Z journey... and don't forget to leave a comment with them and say hi! We all need a little encouragement on the way!

See you on May the 1st!



2 comments:

  1. I've watched the film but didn't realise it was a book, I can imagine it wasn't easy content. Hope you're having a lovely time in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fascinating book, I love it when reading opens your eyes to culture and history. Hope you enjoyed Word Alive and didn't get blown away by the gales! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!