Wednesday 1 July 2015

Authors A to Z: Murder Mysteries and American Adventures

At last I feel like I'm back on my reading-fest again... after a slow few months of pregnancy and tiredness and general lack of gusto when it came to reading (one book a month is snail pace for me...) I'm back on a mission. Middle of the night feeds provide good reading time... that is as long as I can keep my eyes open!

So this month, after Jonas' arrival, I have wolfed down two fabulous books... my J and K are now under the belt, and I am almost half way through the alphabet. Woop! Woop! I'm aiming for three books in July... more on them below...

But first things first, here's what I've been reading in June!



Book 10: "J"
P.D.JAMES
"DEATH COMES TO PEMBERLEY"
I wasn't sure I was going to like this one to be honest... I am a huge Jane Austen fan and anyone who messes with Jane Austen is treading dangerous water as far as I'm concerned, but actually... I really enjoyed this one. The familiar characters - the Darcys, the Bingleys, the Wickhams and the Bennetts, but a very different style and a twist  at the end made it a really good read. It is a good old murder mystery - and keeps you guessing until the final chapter. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Favourite Quote...
"Guilt is more commonly felt by the innocent than by the culpable"

***



Book 11: "K"
JANE KIRKPATRICK
"A SWEETNESS OF THE SOUL"
I just loved this book... in the same way that I just loved Mrs Mike... I think there is something about these American frontier storylines that just draw me back to my childhood love of Laura Ingalls Wilder! I can't get enough of a wild west story. But what I loved about this one was that it wasn't the classic romance, but a realistic portrayal of life there - with all its hardships and joys, and where everything didn't always end with a happily ever after. Kirkpatrick was recommended by one of my all time favourite bloggers Sarah over at Clover Lane, and I'll definitely be checking out some of her other books... once I've finished my A-Z challenge (only 15 books to go!)
Favourite quotes
LOADS of them...!
"the way he converted the ordinary into something extraordinary"
"If you believed in God's plan for your life, there were no coincidences, everything was part of the plan"
"'Each dark place has God in it,' Reverend Condon assured me. 'God promised he will never leave us or forsake us no matter how deep we sink or how heavy the burden we are asked to bear. And there is a purpose in that darkness, some plan God is working out'"
"I was to use what was not my choice and make it into something wise, to always look for the learning in a moment, however much pain it carried also"
"Just to watch them was my blessing and my wage"
"I had thought that with a child - any child - I would do the moulding, that that's what grown-ups did. I had not expected to be changed myself"
"'Change isn't the end,' she reminded me, softly, her dress swooshing on the floor as she kneeled beside me. 'It's an unfolding, the beginning of something different.'"

Honestly... I could have given you more. I just soaked up so much wisdom from that book, and that's why I'll be reading more Kirkpatrick in the future! Highly, highly recommend!!

So now I start gearing up for my July reading, and while I'm still on a mission to hunt down an "N" book (suggestions welcome!!), here's a sneaky preview into my "L" and "M"... Cider With Rosie (Vintage Classics) by Laurie Lee and Secrets of the River which is written by my lovely blogging friend Jess! Exciting!


So now its your turn... link up your progress below! This linky will be continuous, so will be open to add to right up until the 1st of January 2016! It will be great to be able to look back and see all the fabulous books we've read, but also to share some ideas for recommendations from those who are slightly ahead!

So link up, and please pop over to any other blogs, say hello and cheer them on!

See you again on August 1st!
***

The idea is to read 26 books you have never read before by the end of the year, by authors A-Z, beginning with A and running all the way to Z by the end of the year... We'd love you to join in the fun!


4 comments:

  1. You've probably already read this, but The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger just undid me. Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Irene Nemirovsky. She was a jewish writer who unfortunately went to the gas chambers. Her stories are anazing and she is my top author. She did Suite Française. I have loads of her books if you want to borrow. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did 'unbroken' by Laura Hillenbrand, The Abominables by Eva Ibbotson, James Joyce 'The Dubliners', 'Kim' by Rudyard Kipling .... Looking for an 'L' ! 😀. Holly says Margaret Mitchell 'Gone With the Wind' as a recommendation. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo Nesbø om du vil lese norsk krim..😄

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!