Friday 5 February 2016

February in Books // One for Them and One for Me


January was a busy little month, and yet, it was a month which was perfect for reading. As the cold blustery wind whistles past the children's bedroom window, somehow it calls for cosying up together with a good book... and that's exactly what we've done...

One for Them...


The children have been adoring "Children of the Northlights" by Ingri and Edgar Parin D'aulaire... it feels quite "Laura Ingalls Wilder" in style, but it's beautiful illustrations, and wonderful descriptions make it an accessible read for our two-year-old too, despite the fact it was first published in the 1930s! The children have been fascinated by the lives of the Sami people in Lapland, and it has inspired much of their play the last couple of weeks (more on that here!) The wonderful world of snow and sledges, reindeer racing and bundled up babies being pushed down a mountain (!) has been fascinating for them. They have wanted to read it over and over, and its one of those beautiful books that I have most definitely appreciated as much as they have. A MUST buy for your little people... I promise you will not regret it! (Meanwhile I am off to check out all their other titles!)



One for Me...


I have been immersing myself in the stunningly descriptive writing of Anthony Doerr these past few weeks. I had seen a lot of people recommending this one, and it certainly has not disappointed. "All The Light We Cannot See" tells the parallel stories of blind French girl Marie-Laure and German orphan Werner. The novel follows their lives in the run-up to World War II, and sees them drawn together in a hauntingly beautiful way.  

Its one of those books you want to read in slow motion... to soak up and savour every single word. And then go back and read the sentence again...

So that's what we've been reading this month! What have you been reading? I'm after some new books for February!                                                                                              

Don't forget to pop over and check out my co-hosts Carie and Katie and see what they've been reading too! And leave some comment love for those who take part!

   
   

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, I LOVED All The Light We Cannot See. Such a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of All the Light We Cannot See but it sounds amazing! And yay for anything Laura Ingalls esque - we love Little House in the Big Woods - but I know what you mean about sometimes it being a bit too grown up for our littlest girls, this looks perfect - and it's about snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I've heard about this book (All the light) but in no detail so thanks for the little bit of light thrown on it. Sounds fantastic. And this is a great linky 'What we're reading'. If ever you're short of a host I'd be very happy to as we're all always reading! PS An old friend who i met up with recently bought me My Rock, My Refuge on the Psalms and I'm finding it preciously rich. A much needed good quality QT book!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!