Tuesday 2 January 2024

Hunkering Down and Hibernating




I always love the new year, because I absolutely love the idea of a fresh start; a new journal, a blank page, a new phase. There's something in me that loves nothing more than setting new goals and coming up with creative approaches... but I read something the other day which challenged the idea of New Year Resolutions, and it resonated with me.

Is January really the time for that?

Every year, without fail, I make plans as a new year rolls round. And every year, without fail, they last all of a couple of weeks.

There are other points in the year where I make plans for a fresh start. Often as the spring rolls round, my instinct to sort the house out, to get back on top of things kicks in... and I always seem to have much more success in the Springtime.

And then there's the start of the academic year. In September I'm always super motivated after a restful summer... and new habits and routines for our family seem to take much more effectively.

January just never seems to work. And maybe that's because its not meant to.

Author Katherine May writes; "Human's cannot actually hibernate, but in the coldest months of the year, many of us are drawn to something similar. We want to batten down the hatches against the treacherous weather outside, preserve our energies, lay on fat. If only we could suspend the demands of life, just until the sun comes out again, all would be well." (The Guardian, Feb 2020)

Yet there is something in me that still wants to goal set. And so, as I thought about it... I decided I would be well-placed to divide my goals up throughout the year. To focus my attention on the home in the springtime, family and work goals in September... and to take this opportunity to invest in some goals that will work with my desire to hunker down and hibernate. Of course, with a baby due in the next couple of weeks, it makes little sense to make any grand plans now!

So here are three goals I'm setting this January which I hope will serve the season, rather than set me up for failure again!

1. SLEEP - I've been doing some reading recently around the "Circadian rhythm" - your body's internal 24 hour clock that regulates our response to light and impacts on our body's sleep and wakeful times. I have long known that our bodies need an average of 8 hours sleep a night, and that a regular bedtime and wake up routine are helpful for our mental health and well-being, and yet, for a large part, I have consistently ignored this advice for decades. I would much rather have a productive hour before bed than a restful one. But as I've read more around this topic, I've realised that this is pure arrogance, and that my body has probably been functioning with sleep deprivation for years (I sleep well generally, but I don't sleep enough), and so this January one of my goals is to get into healthy habits in the sleep department. To have a regular bedtime, and wind-down before it, to aim for 8 hours and to rise at the same time every morning. My husband has consistently done this for years, and I have not. And, as we prepare for a newborn, I realise I'm going to need to do everything in my power to work for my body, as a little someone will very soon be demanding a lot from it!


2. FRESH AIR - In the winter, everything in me wants to cosy up and stay warm indoors, but I've also long known the massive advantages of getting outdoors every day. This year, as a family, we've decided to take part in the "1000 Hours Outside" project. The goal? To spend 1000 hours this year out of doors - it works out between 2.5-3 hours a day. Trickier in the winter, much easier in the summer. But we're all determined and have printed off tracker charts for everyone (including the baby!) so everyone can take a bit of ownership. We started already today and are up for the challenge!



3. READING - I love to read... but I also don't make enough time for it. My hope is, that as I start trying to be more intentional with my wind-down in the evening, I'll be quicker to reach for a book (or my Kindle - if using a kindle make sure its not backlit or you're working against your body!) This will be more challenging with a baby in tow, but I've picked out 11 books I'd like to try and read this year. To be honest, if I make it through four I think that will be an achievement - but I want to try and introduce habits that will help me not hinder me. I have an insatiable thirst for information, and I love to learn... and I can either do this on a screen or in a book.


Later this week I'll share my "to read" list for this year - I'd love to hear what you'd recommend too!

Are you someone who makes resolutions? Do you find January to be a productive time for that? Or like me, do you find you're more motivated at other times of year?


3 comments:

  1. New year new beginnings and thanking God for the greatest gift of all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of taking the whole month... December is always such a whirlwind you don't get a chance to properly think through it! Love this!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!