Wednesday 24 January 2024

She's here // Welcoming our littlest love

One week and one day ago since we welcomed our precious little lady into the world. Annika Beth - the little one we never knew we needed, but who has felt so perfectly part of us since we found out with shock and surprise that we were expecting again. We did not mind at all whether this precious little one was a boy or girl - having two of each meant there was no secret pressure or hope... and yet somehow a little girl to round up our family has felt perfect... and she is utterly adored by all her siblings.

It was my first elective section after a water birth and a run of three emergencies, the last of which was particularly dramatic. The Lord was so gracious to us in the details of her arrival. The elective meant that the surgeons were able to take their time, and we were able to have a "gentle caesarian", something I was keen for and which the hospital were super supportive of. A "gentle caesarian" meant they lowered the gown to allow us to see her being born (without seeing the stuff we didn't need to see), delayed cord clamping and gave me immediate skin to skin. They didn't whisk her away to weigh her or do all her checks, but I was able to have her with me until they needed to move me out of theatre... a good 45 minutes to an hour of just holding her close. So special.


I had gone in peaceful to hospital that morning... in the run up, many friends asked me if I was nervous, and I was honestly able to reply that I was not. But the downside of an elective caesarian is that the medics have to have all the risk chats with you (there is no time for that in an emergency section!) and by the time we were ready to go, my nerves had set in. As we waited to head down to theatre, Dave and I prayed that the Lord would be in every detail, and would take my fear away.

I should never doubt. 30 years in to my walk with Jesus, and He still surprises me with his generous mercies!

As we walked into theatre, I was greeted by the anaesthetist who began to give his name, and then paused as the recognition dawned on both our faces. Will, a friend from halls at uni in my first year - a guy I had known well but hadn't seen in 20 odd years, was going to be walking me through the spinal block. It was lovely to have someone in there - on the right side of the gown - who I knew and trusted, and catching up with him on 20 years was a good distraction from what was going on on the other side.

As they started to prepare me for surgery, they put our playlist on. This was also new to me - no such luxuries when you're rushed down to theatre! We had chosen worship music that we love, but that was chilled in style - acoustic covers of some of our favourites. As "Oceans" started to play quietly over the speakers, one of the assistants began to sing along...

"I love this album," she said - "its not often we get this kind of music in here - but its so special"

As they checked everything off, my consultant entered the room. He had told me he wouldn't be able to be present as he was in outpatients clinic on Tuesdays, but there he was...

"Is it ok if I assist today Claire? I've got some space before I start downstairs and I'd love to be here"

This was the Consultant who had accompanied me across London in an ambulance with Elias, who knew my case inside out - again, such a gift from the Lord.

And then, as if that wasn't enough, the lead surgeon began singing along to our playlist too. Another Christian. As the surgeons worked, he sang words over our little Annika that will be precious forever.

What a gift and provision of the Lord to give so generously to abate all my fears.

The op was complex - four caesarians is no walk in the park - but the surgeons were skilled and had no rush or pressure, and so they took their time... "this might take a while", "we're going to take this nice and slowly"... and then suddenly, out of the blue, everything speeds up and suddenly your gown is being lowered as they lift out a precious little girl.


Annika Beth -

"Grace and favoured one" - "God's promise"

We relished in her newborn scent, perfect little face, and deep dark eyes staring up at us as our surgeon sang "Oh praise the name of the Lord our God - oh praise his name, forevermore... for endless days we will sing your praise, Oh Lord, Oh Lord our God!"

What a way to enter the world!




13 comments:

  1. I feel like I have been there with you throughout it all thank you you and Dave have been blessed so many times by The Lord is sounds quite A remarkable birth full of love worship and finally praise

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful story and beautiful family

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, congratulations to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welling up reading that! What a good and kind God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Claire what a beautiful story. God in the details

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brings tears of gladness to my eyes each time I hear of her arrival 🙌🏻

    ReplyDelete
  7. Herzlichen Glückwunsch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful birth story brimming with the goodness of God. An absolute joy to read 🥲

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got emotional reading that. What a great God!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful story 😘

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hard not to cry reading this such a beautiful story sending love x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liz Wightman-Potter25 January 2024 at 15:13

    Only our perfect Lord and saviour could have orchestrated all this ! Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderful testimony to God’s faithfulness to you all. Thank you for sharing, Claire and enjoy the cuddles with Annika x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!