Monday 8 October 2012

Autumn assemblies...

You know when you have those kind of "topics of conversation" that seem to keep cropping up? Well, I feel like we've had a lot of that recently... and the topic? Assembly songs! Dave and I were talking about them last week, another friend brought the topic of conversation up this week, and then last night, at Church, our good friend Matt used assembly songs to illustrate a point he was making...

My class at primary school - this is the only photo I could find,
and it happens to be the one "class photo" I was absent for...
what a shame! I'm sure all the rest of you will enjoy seeing it
again though!
There were, of course, the classics - When I needed a neighbour, When a Knight won his Spurs, Football crazy, The drunken Sailor... and a weird song in the back of my mind that had something to do with a bear with Scruffy, wuffy hair... anyone remember that one?! There seem to be a bizarre plethora of assembly songs when it comes to this time of year... autumn seems to be an inspirational month for assembly song writers... although the tenuous links to autumn are at times questionable!!

Anyone remember this one...


Autumn days, when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside a chestnut shell
Jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled
All these things I love so well

So I mustn't forget
No, I mustn’t forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn’t forget.

Clouds that look like familiar faces
And a winter’s moon with frosted rings
Smell of bacon as I fasten up my laces
And the song the milkman sings.

Whipped-up spray that is rainbow-scattered
And a swallow curving in the sky
Shoes so comfy though they’re worn out and they’re battered
And the taste of apple pie.

Scent of gardens when the rain's been falling
And a minnow darting down a stream
Picked-up engine that’s been stuttering and stalling
And a win for my home team.
by Estelle White
I mean, what do half of those things actually have to do with autumn?? And what is "whipped up spray that is rainbow scattered"?? Weird... explanations welcome!

Or another autumn classic...


Pear and apples, wheat and grapes
Many textures, many shapes
Falling leaves in golden drifts
Thank you God, for harvest gifts

Flashing shoals of silver fish,
Every colour you could wish;
Fishing boats, for you and me
Reap the harvest of the sea

Deep beneath the ocean floor
Fuel and power have lain in store,
Brought to use through dangerous toil
Thank you, God, for gas and oil.

Coal black diamonds in the earth,
Ancient forests gave them brith;
Skill and labour now combine
Reaping harvests of the mine.

Earth and ocean, plant and beast,
Altogether make the feast;
All who long to share your grace
At your table have their place.

Loving Lord, we know you care;
May we all your goodness share;
Save us from all selfish greed,
Finding you in those who need.

And we can't forget this classic...

Cauliflowers fluffy and cabbages green,
Strawberries sweeter than any I've seen
Beetroot purple and onions white,
All grow steadily day and night

The apples are ripe, the plums are red,
Broad beans are sleeping in a blankety bed

Blackberries juicy and rhubarb sour,
Marrows that are fattening hour by hour.
Gooseberries hairy and lettuces fat
Radishes round and runner beans flat 

Orangey carrots and turnips cream,
Reddening tomatoes that used to be green,
Brown potatoes in little heaps,
Down in the darkness where the celery sleeps

Aaah... I love a good old trip down memory lane! Any other classic assembly tunes you loved as a kid? Comment below... I'd love to remember some of those golden oldies I've forgotten!!

PS - Check back tomorrow for a VERY exciting Giveaway!!!

2 comments:

  1. That song is "If I were a butterfly" and the line is "If I were a fuzzy-wuzzy bear, I'd thank the Lord for my fuzzy-wuzzy hair"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually read your blog by email and don't get chance to come and comment but I had to today as for years I've been trying to remember the words for the "cauliflowers fluffy" song, it's one of the only ones I can remember singing at school! What a trip down memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!