Friday 19 July 2013

And the potty returns...

I have been a little quiet on the potty front... we started our "Potty Diaries" back in January when we began with a laid-back approach... plonking the little lady on the potty at the start of the day and the end, and letting her figure out what to do with it. She did so well, but it became clear she wasn't quite ready! (She was only 16 months!)




The past 6 months we have just put her on the potty whenever she has asked for it, but it has very much been on her terms... and then Wednesday happened. She just started asking every time she needed to go... and suddenly I found she had gone the whole morning with a dry nappy. I was slightly in shock, but decided to go with the flow, and put her in pants for the rest of the day. We had 2 accidents, but lots of success stories as the potty started getting covered in sticker after sticker!

Yesterday morning, Ava woke up at 5.30am crying for the toilet. It was NOT a particularly welcome early wake-up call, until we discovered her nappy was dry (for probably the first time ever). She had gone the whole night dry, and obviously woken up early needing the toilet...

She then proceeded to spend the entire day totally dry and did not have one single accident...

I must admit, I am in total and utter shock... I don't want to jump the gun, but seriously?!

Who's ever heard of a self-potty training toddler?!?

I have only my mother-in-law to thank for this! She insisted we start early with the potty (16 months seemed a bit ridiculous to me!), and although its taken 6 months of "potty-training", its been totally pain-free and without argument.

I was intending on doing it this summer, once we got to Norway, but she's beaten me to it, and I'm certainly not complaining! This hot weather is perfect for potty-training...

What are your potty training experiences? Do you think there's an ideal time? An ideal age? An ideal way? Drop a line in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud to hear good news about the pottytraining. Remember her dad was out of nappies when he was 22 months old! Daughter like father!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like she didn't quite beat her father then! 23 months not bad though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is actually still 22 months until Monday!

      Delete
  3. Great news . We experienced the same thing a d once again it was like his Dad..... Good family trait to have

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!