Friday 19 May 2017

Two Steps Forwards, One Step Back


Humbling seems to be the word to define this season of life at the moment. It seems that "getting back on my own two feet" is a state I'm going to have to wait a little longer for. On Tuesday, I did all three school runs, I managed to do some chores around the home... for the first time since March, I felt like the end of dependence on others was in sight.


And then on Tuesday night, Mastisis hit, and I was back to square one. It utterly crippled me... I could barely make it out of bed all day, I felt weak and couldn't do anything for the big children. It took all my energy just to care for little Elias. I honestly haven't felt so weakened, so ill and so utterly incapacitated in such a long time... despite all the trauma of the past few weeks, this left me feeling worse than anything surrounding Elias' birth! Perhaps it was the unexpected nature of it all, perhaps the disappointment when I had seemed so close to well...

As I type, I am recovering... ever grateful for modern medicine and the wonder of antibiotics. Thankful for hot showers and cabbage leaves!

It has been yet another reminder that motherhood weakens you in every way - emotionally vulnerable, physically battered... and yet every ounce of challenge is worth it. Even when I'm laid up in bed with Mastisis, it's worth it.

Because being humbled is beauty; it makes us rely on the strength-giver, it reminds me of my own weakness and draws me to lean on the Saviour.

Two steps forward, one step back.

1 comment:

  1. Oh,you poor girl - I had this with my first born but so pleased to hear you are on the mend. Love reading about your little (well, not so little now!) family. God bless you and keep you and may his face shine upon you all

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!