Monday 6 February 2012

Resolution 6: with all my might...

6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live...

It's pretty much the anthem of the modern age; "make the most of life", "take risks, you only have one shot at it", "eat, drink and be merry". Living "with all our might" might be something you think we, in the 21st century, do pretty well. We don't settle for less than the best, we fight for our rights, we chase self-fulfillment and happiness, without always counting the cost... is this what Edwards is advocating?

Hmmm... I'd argue that perhaps, although we think we're living with all our might, perhaps we're not... to do anything with "all my might" requires determination, perseverance, purpose and energy. These are sadly NOT words that describe a lot of my life (try time-wasting, faffing, internet-surfing, Facebook reading, apathy, procrastinating, creating beautiful "to do" lists, rather than getting on and doing the things on them... anyone else guilty of that?!) No! That is NOT living with all my might!

I think what Edwards had in mind here was something much more than simply enjoying life... this is Carpe Diem in action... it means making the most of life, being purposeful in your use of time, your friendships, your priorities. It means knowing how to relax well, to enjoy creation and friendships and family, to work hard and enjoy a sense of achievement, to "expect great things from God and attempt great things for God" (Carey)

It sadly doesn't give me license to stop doing the mundane things (Oh, I won't bother ironing those shirts, because what does that really count for in the grand scheme of things... ironing is not "living with all my might!") No, when I'm doing the ironing I'm serving my family... I'm being purposeful in prioritising them and their needs and that brings glory to God.

Ultimately, to live with all my might is impossible if I'm not living with the Almighty... the one who created life and said "I have come that they (as in us!) may have life, and have it to the full"(John 10:10: The Bible). Jesus brings true enjoyment of life, true satisfaction and true fulfilment.

So, lets get living today... and do it "with all my might"!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!