Monday 12 March 2012

Resolution 11: Getting your head around it...

11. Resolved, when I think of any theorem in divinity to be solved, immediately to do what I can towards solving it, if circumstances don't hinder.

Questions, questions, questions... I don't think there's been a moment, as a christian, that I haven't had questions... "Why has God allowed this situation to happen?", "What does this bit of the Bible mean?", "How can God be both just and merciful?" Questions are part and parcel of being a christian and I think sometimes we can be scared of them... worried that we are becoming a "doubting Thomas". Actually, God's not scared of our questions, he's not worried he won't be able to answer them and he wants us to be real and honest about what's going on in our heads.

Edward's, here, is advocating honesty about our questions - firstly, recognising that we don't have the answers to everything, that there are certain things about God I can't get my head round, or I don't understand... and he urges us not to sweep them away, pretend they aren't there, bury them under the carpet... No. I'm to "do what I can towards solving it"... search the Scriptures, ask someone I respect, pray that God will reveal the truth to me, read a book on the issue...

One book that I highly recommend is Roger Carswell's "Grill a Christian"... the book is just a collection of questions people have about God, and Carswell is really easy to read and clear in his answers. I've leant this book out to a couple of friends recently, and they seem to be finding it useful and interesting! Worth checking out if you have questions, and want, as Edwards says, to "do what you can towards solving it."

Obviously, there are some questions that I will never know the answer to... that's life. Some things I will never get my head around this side of eternity. But I can trust that God is good. And that HE knows the answers to all of life's questions...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!