Monday 18 June 2012

Resolution 22: Living for the moment?

22. Resolved to endeavor to obtain for myself as much happiness, in the other world, as I possibly can, with all the power; might, vigour and vehemence, yea violence, I am capable of, or can bring myself to exert, in any way that can be thought of.

It's the anthem of the culture we live in: "Live for the moment!" and "Enjoy life"... they sound so wonderful, so appealing and such great ideas to live your life by... and yet these cries are so dangerous! Living for the moment justifies decisions that make me feel good. It leads a society into self-centredness, as everyone seeks to do what makes them happy, with little to no regard for the consequences to those around them. Edwards quote seems to endorse this... how can that be?? How can he be encouraging us to seek happiness with all our power, might, vigour, vehemence and violence... really??

But all of these thoughts miss one vital little line in Edwards resolution... "in the other world". As Jesus says in Matthew 6:20 (The Bible)...

"Store up treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal"

See, that's the problem. If I seek my ultimate happiness now with the kind of vigour that Edwards suggests, I will only be disappointed. The "treasure" that I'm seeking - to be the ultimate "supermum", to have a beautiful home that everyone admires, to be appreciated and honoured and looked up to, to be successful in my job, my marriage, my motherhood - that treasure will wear out. I'll have bad days as a Mum, I'll get frustrated with my family, my house will look a tip, I'll feel the sting of someone's criticism and those "treasures" will rust and be stolen from me...

But if I put my energy into putting my treasure in heaven - in other words, finding my satisfaction in Jesus, I will find that that will "never perish, spoil or fade" (1 Peter 1:4, The Bible) because where I fail, and falter, and mess up, he is steadfast and unchanging and reliable.

So I'll enjoy this life, I'll savour every moment of it, because its a gift from my true treasure. And I'll put my energy and enthusiasm into life, because I want to live it for the King. He's my treasure, and he's worth living for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!