Monday 2 July 2012

Joining the Social Media Bandwagon!

For those of you at Church with us, you may have already seen this article I wrote for the back page of In-Touch this weekend.

The motivation for blogging is a topic about which any and every blogger should ask themselves on a regular basis...



The Web of Social Media…


As a Christian, navigating the maze of social media, while keeping our character under check, and our motives intact, is an almost impossible task. I know. I’ve been seriously blogging now for the last 8 months and find this same question pops up time and time again:

Why am I doing this?

There are a lot of reasons. I hope my blog is a place that points people to Jesus; I know a lot of non-Christians read it, so it’s a great opportunity for people, friends and strangers, to see the impact the gospel has on everyday life. I hope it’s an encouragement for Christians too… to fight the good fight, both in the exciting adventures and in the mundane activities of normality. It’s a creative outlet, a place for me to put my ideas out there, and hear people’s responses and thoughts. It’s an earner; as a stay-at-home Mum, a little bit of extra cash in the pocket is a bonus!

But the pitfalls are many. They are ALWAYS there -they are lurking, and subtle and creep up at the most innocent and unsuspecting times. In essence, the pitfall can be summarised in one word. Pride.

I’ve just started working through Luke in my quiet times, and on Tuesday, I got to “Mary’s song” in chapter 1. As I began working through the passage, I felt increasingly convicted by verses 51-53…

He has performed mighty deeds with his right arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty…

As we go about our blogging, or facebooking, or tweeting, we face a choice. To glorify our own names and seek our own fame and fortune (how many retweets did I get today? How many likes on my Facebook status? How many hits on my blog?) or to glorify God’s name, and seek his fame and fortune. The second may not get me as many hits… my readership may drop. But the impact will be more lasting.

If I seek to glorify myself, eventually, according to Mary’s Song, I will be brought down, scattered, sent away… but if I join the ranks of the humble – look to glorify God’s name and seek his fame and fortune, I will be lifted up and filled with good things.

We need to pray for God’s strength to daily make the choice that honours him… and maybe change the question…

Not, “Why am I doing this?” but “Who am I doing this for?”

Let’s do it for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!