Tuesday 21 January 2014

Threading little beads...

Keeping a clean house is like threading beads on a string with no knot on
- Amish Proverb - 




Wowzers. If ever there was a proverb that rang true with every housewife across the country, it would be this one! Yesterday I was up early... Really early. Like 5.30am early. Ava has had a chest infection, and while she's much better now, the lingering cough seems to disturb her in the morning hours. I hear a quiet thump, a little pitter patter, and next thing I know there's a cosy little body snuggling into mine and asking to go downstairs for some warm milk. I managed to hold her off for 45minutes, but she's basically a little windmill and no fun to sleep beside, so at 6.15 I gave in and down we headed...

I find getting up early hard... But let me tell you, I never regret it. By 8am I had both girls up and dressed, downstairs dusted and hoovered, bedding changed and the bathroom cleaned. Those early hours may be painful, but my word are they productive! I'm almost tempted to set my alarm for 5.30am every morning (I said almost) just to get on top of everything.

Getting on top of everything. A funny phrase. And one that I am increasingly realising is actually humanly impossible. I discovered the little proverb above this week and it rings so TRUE with me. One day, you may get on top of everything, but the very next morning, the toys will be everywhere, breakfast will be spilled on your hoovered floor and there'll be a fresh pile of dirty washing.

How do we respond? It's easy to feel despondent and yet as with everything, we have a choice. Sitting on my kitchen window sill is one of my husband's favourite bible verses...

Rejoice always, pray continuously, give thanks in all circumstances...
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

It's a good reminder when I'm feeling loaded down.

So yesterday I rejoiced in housework... Not always an easy task... But being grateful that I have a family to care for, a home to look after, mouths to feed, clothes to wash, toys to clear away. Sometimes I realise I just need a healthy dose of perspective, and then I remember that though those beads keep slipping off that thread, it is such a gift to have such precious gems to thread in the first place...

2 comments:

  1. You could link this one up with Mummy Never Sleeps' new linky - the small things. I always feel really inspired and satisfied when I've got up early and been proactive. Why can't I do it more often?! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're SO right about getting up mega early, I always have everything done by 8am and feel really smug... But then by 10am I need a lie down ;)

    I need that Amish proverb tattooed on my hands I reckon, as a reminder! Really like your thinking behind this, it's easy to moan about the relentless chores, but it could be so much worse.

    Thanks so much for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!