Tuesday 24 June 2014

The one called growing up...



It seems that everywhere we go at the moment, my big girl is spotting letters, trying to write things, exploring the shapes of letters and numbers... I find it fascinating... she is like a little sponge, eager to soak up everything she can...


And it is all so bittersweet... the realisation that my baby girl is nearly ready for the world of letters, and numbers and school books and homework. How? Where have these nearly three years gone? 

They have gone on golden summers in the garden, cuddles with baby sister, memories made with families and friends, cosy winter evenings tucked up under a blanket with warm milk and a Disney DVD, giggles and girliness, baking and making and playing pretend, savouring seasons, training and teaching (sometimes through deep breaths!) what it means to grow up...


So how can I have any regrets? How can I wish to hold on to what is ready to move on?

She is ready for the adventures... she is fun and feisty and raring to go... would I really hold her back?


No. I must start to learn the lesson that all mother's have to learn. That slowly, but surely, we give our children the freedom to grow up, to step out... to become independent.

And so, I teach myself to get excited about her letter writing, to support her desire to try new things, to have a smile on my face when she talks about her new class and her teachers (who she currently jokingly calls Mrs Mama and Mrs Heidi... clearly the funiest joke in the world!)


and be excited for this new adventure we're about to begin...

the one called growing up.

9 comments:

  1. Gosh she does look so grown up in these pictures doesn't she. I'm constantly amazed to find myself the mother of a rapidly approaching four year old - that just seems like the last few years have gone far too quickly - I remember being pregnant with her so vividly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does go fast, doesn't it?! Yes, she seems to have suddenly grown up these past couple of months; lost some of those baby rolls and grown some more blonde locks! Crazy how time flies!

      Delete
  2. It's scary and exciting all at the same time. Monkey is behind most of his peers but slowly he seems to be showing an interest in recognising letters and numbers and school is beckoning. #loudnproud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they all get there in the end! I'm a big believer in letting them go at their own pace! I lived in Austria for a while, and there, they didn't even start looking at numbers and letters til they were six! I think sometimes we rush them a bit over here. Ava's just interested at the moment; I think you've got to let them take the lead!

      Delete
  3. She seems to have grown up so fast! When I started reading your blog she really was a toddler still and now she is learning about letters and has hair that can be tied back!! Such a lovely girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... it IS scary when I look back at pictures of last year! My baby girl! All grown up! But that brings exciting new challenges too (so I keep telling myself!!)

      Delete
  4. Love your photos for this post, she really does look very grown up. I think it's great that she is eager to learn this new wonderful information, even if it does make us sad that we are losing our babies x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son loves letters and numbers! While doing our preschool run he would touch signs with letters and numbers. Points the gate numbers too! Its so nice that our simple walk is a learning tool for him too =) #loudnproud

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos! She's adorable! She looks so keen to learn x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!