Tuesday 14 February 2012

Who am I?

Who am I? I think its a question we all face at some point in our lives... and we love to identify ourselves in different ways... we identify ourselves by our relationships, by our successes, by our skills and achievements, by our family roles and by our friendships...

On Sunday, at church, we were thinking about the identity of John the Baptist and that, although he was one of the greatest men who ever lived, when asked who he was, he always pointed to Jesus. His identity was so wrapped up in Him, that he just wanted to talk about Jesus, and not about himself.

I'm a very, very long way from being like that. This is something I feel God has really been impressing on me over this weekend particularly. On Saturday, I met up with the girls I'm accountable to, and we were talking about how we love to talk about ourselves. About how, even when we ask someone else a question, we're often just waiting for them to finish so we can make our comment, or tell our story... I often catch myself wanting to talk and talk and talk about myself all the time; my experiences, my family, my daughter... if someone asks about me, I have no problem telling them...

Even in the blogging world, I sometimes have to ask myself... what is the purpose of this blog? Is it to tell you all about me? my thoughts? my family? Or can I use it for some greater purpose? Perhaps to point to the person in whom my identity is really found?

I am not primarily a wife
I am not primarily a mother
I am not primarily a housewife, teacher, daughter, sister or friend

Primarily, I am a christian - follower of Jesus, rescued by the grace of the true God and living in the power of the Holy Spirit.

That's who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by!